Jack Beckwith’s area of expertise is primarily machinery & equipment/personal property.
However, he has valued buildings and improvements for insurance purposes. In addition to his valuation experience, Mr. Beckwith has been an expert witness in the United States Bankruptcy Court and in various counties for personal property ad valorem tax litigation.
Though he is based in Texas, Mr. Beckwith has performed and supervised valuations throughout the United States, Canada, Mexico, and Europe.
Mr. Beckwith has broad experience in performing valuations and consulting projects for a variety of purposes including, but not limited to the following:
- Tax appeal
- Purchase price allocation
- Asset-based lending
- Financial and tax reporting
- Sarbanes Oxley conformance
- Asset tagging and tracking
- Various other purposes
His appraisal experience has expanded to include valuations of a variety of industrial, commercial and institutional properties including, but not limited to: construction equipment, convenience stores, farm and ranch equipment, ferrous & non-ferrous metal recycling, healthcare services/ medical devices, millwork production, paper and pulp products, petroleum refueling stations, plastics manufacturing, steel fabricators, teaching institutions, public utilities, foundries, automotive (OEM and suppliers), and other industries.
Mr. Beckwith’s professional career began in 1976 when he began distributing new and refurbished medical equipment to the healthcare industry. He owned and operated Mission Medical which had several locations in Texas and Mexico.
In 1996, he sold Mission Medical and entered the appraisal field full time and received his ASA designation.
Past Honorarium include the following:
- 2003 ASA International Appraisal Conference Presenter: “Appraising the Healthcare Industry”
- 2006 ASA Machinery and Equipment Identification Workshop Presenter
- 2010 ASA International Appraisal Conference Presenter: “2010 Changes & Challenges in Healthcare”
- 2010 and 2011 ELFA 49th and 50th Annual Conventions, Presenter: “The Medical Equipment Landscape During the Affordable Care Act”
- 2014 and 2015 ASA Machinery and Equipment Identification Workshop Presenter
- 2015 ASA Advanced Business Valuation Conference Presenter
- 2016 Association for Healthcare Resource & Materials Management of the AHA Presenter
- 2016 International Advanced Business Valuation Conference Presenter
Mr. Beckwith has written articles began with the subject “What is Value?” published in 1999 for San Antonio Medicine. Additional writings that explored the healthcare industry were printed for the International M&TS Journal: “Short Visit to the Hospital”, Volume 19-Issue 1, 2002 and “A Case to Determine Lost Value for New Series Equipment, Volume 22-Issue4/Volume 23-Issue 1, 2007.
Since 2003, he has been an ASA Staff Instructor teaching the principle of valuation courses throughout the United States. These courses include ME201 Introduction to Machinery and Equipment Valuation; ME202 Machinery and Equipment Valuation Methodology; and ME203 Machinery and Equipment Valuation-Advanced Topics and Case Studies. Mr. Beckwith serves as the American Society of Appraisers representative to the International Valuation Standards Council (IVSC).
Elected duties for ASA include ASA Election Committee Member, Vice Chair for the ASA M&TS Committee, Secretary of the M&TS Committee, and Editor of the MTS Journal. Currently, Mr. Beckwith is the ASA Representative for the International Valuation Standards Committee based in London. Prior to beginning his professional career, Mr. Beckwith earned his BBA at the University of Texas, served on the University of Incarnate Word Nursing Advisory Board and is currently serving on the Advisory Board for Boerne YMCA and the Kronkosky Place.